Job scam quick guide: it's a scam if...

  • they want you to collect and forward money in any way (a "money mule" job). You'll wind up engaged in money laundering, personally defrauded via expertly forged cheques, money orders, etc, or defrauding someone else who pays for goods that never arrive.
  • they want you to receive packages and reship them somewhere else. The goods will have been obtained fraudulently, and they're just using you to make the shipping address appear local. You will be aiding fraud.
  • they want up-front payment (either to them or someone else) of any sort for anything before you can get the job. This is advance fee fraud: there is no job -- it's just a big con to extract money from you.
  • they want you to buy any kind of "membership" or "kit" in order to start. Forget it -- it's not a real job at all: they're trying to sell you something, and they're probably making a bunch of other false claims about it if they're pitching it as a "job".
  • it's a job offer, and it's spam. There are LOTS of these scams about, as you can see.

Monday, September 29, 2008

Cindy Williams of the Institute of Food Research (IFR)

A scammer going by the name of "Cindy Williams" (today, at least -- who knows what name tomorrow will bring) has a bunch of FORGED money orders, and is looking for suckers to convert them into cold hard cash. The part about the money orders being forgeries isn't mentioned in the email, so I thought I'd better add it. Also, in case it's not obvious, the bit about the Institute of Food Research is just a load of bull cover story.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Cindy Williams <ifrcindy@hotmail.com>
Date: 2008/9/28 UTC
Subject: Job Offer
To: undisclosed-recipients


Greetings,

My name is Cindy Williams, I am a freelance researcher. I would be very
interested in offering you a part-time paying job in which you could
earn a lot. I just resigned my job as a research scientist for IFR
(Institute of Food Research) but i still work as a freelance consultant
for the institute which gives me very much time to do my own work which
is basically being a freelance researcher who could be employed by
research institutes to do research projects anywhere in the world.

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO FOR US
Presently, I have just been granted a funding to head a research project
in the tropical regions of West Africa regarding rare and vulnerable
plant species and this would be commencing very soon, However my
findings were by my American counterparts which sent me the bunch of
payments mostly in US based money orders. Getting an accountant in the
states or opening an account would have been my best choice but I have a
deadline to meet and taking any of those choices would cost me time and
a whole lot of other requirements I am not ready to deal with as I would
be traveling a lot in the meantime. So presently, assuming you would be
able to deal with cash, "I would be willing to employ you on contract
basis to be my payment representative back in the states, this way I
could issue and make these money orders out to you, you could then cash
them easily, withdraw 10% of the total amount on these money orders as
your commission and then send the rest back to me through !
Western Union wire transfer".

JOB DESCRIPTION?
1. Receive payment from Clients
2. Cash Payments at your Bank
3. Deduct 10% which will be your percentage/pay on Payment processed.
4. Forward balance after deduction of
Percentage/pay to any of the offices you will be contacted to send
payment to (Payment is to forwarded by Western Union Money Transfer).

HOW MUCH WILL YOU EARN?
10% from each operation! For instance: you receive 7000 USD via cheques
or money orders on our behalf. You will cash the money and keep $700
(10% from $7000) for yourself! At the beginning your commission will
equal 10%, though later it will increase up to 12%!

ADVANTAGES
You do not have to go out as you will work as an independent contractor
right from your home office. Your job is absolutely legal. You can earn
up to $3000-$4000 monthly depending on time you will spend for this job.
You do not need any capital to start. The employees who make efforts and
work hard have a strong possibility to become managers. Anyway our
employees never leave us.

MAIN REQUIREMENTS
18 years or older
Legally capable
Responsible
Ready to work 3-4 hours per week.
With PC knowledge
E-mail and internet experience (minimal)

And please know that Everything is absolutely legal, that's why You have
to fill a contract! I would be glad if you accept my offer
and I intend to commence on the job as soon as you are ready.

Please note when replying fill the form below:

Name:
Full Address: (not p . o . box):
City:
State:
Country:
Zip code:
Phone Number(s):
Age:
Sex:
Current job:
Email:

Thanks for your anticipated action and i hope to hear back from you.

Cindy Williams
IFR(Institute of Food Research)
Norwich Research Park Colney
Norwich NR4 7UA UK
ifrcindy@hotmail.com

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

As of 2/22/09, Cindy Williams is now going by the name of Ben Miller. Everything else in this letter is the same.

Anonymous said...

My new friend goes by:
Tracy Fines
IFR(Institute of Food Research)
Norwich Research Park Colney
Norwich NR4 7UA UK
tds1970@optusnet.com.au

All other information is the same.
Dated 2/25/09

Spotter said...

Yes, I've received a couple of Tracy Fines ones now also. "Tracy" wants replies sent to finestracy@yahoo.dk.

Anonymous said...

Now going by James W Cannon and trying to rent my appartment... this is what they emailed me..

Hello,

My name is James W Cannon, I am a freelance researcher who reside in
United Kingdom.I just resigned my job as a research scientist for
IFR(Institute of Food Research) but i still work as a freelance
consultant for the institute which gives me very much time to do my
own work which is basically being a freelance researcher who could be
employed by research institutes to do research projects anywhere in
the world.

Presently, I have just been granted a funding to head a research
project in the tropical regions of Asia regarding rare and vulnerable
plant species and this would be commencing very soon, However my
findings were by my American counterparts.So i will be staying in the
states for a while before heading to Asia to round up my research.

Please for the fact that i will not be here in the state to check the
apartment,i will like you to feed me with more details about the
properties i.e

1)Details about the property including pictures if available.
2)Monthly rentals/security deposits and also if utilities is added.
3)When will it be available for move in
4)The total to move in i.e total amount i need made availble to hold
the property.


I await your reply
--
James W Cannon
477-479 Whippendell Road
Watford, London
WD18 7PU
United Kingdom
+447024057815

Anonymous said...

I got the same James W. Cannon one for my townhouse I'm renting.

I just love seeing how they try and scam you. Sadly people fall for it.

Anonymous said...

I just got the same James Cannon response to a townhouse I'm trying to rent, too. The grammatical and punctuation errors were horrendous, though. Take a look:

Hello,

My name is James W Cannon, I am a freelance researcher who reside in United Kingdom.I just resigned my job as a research scientist for IFR(Institute of Food Research) but i still work as a freelance consultant for the institute which gives me very much time to do my own work which is basically being a freelance researcher who could be employed by research institutes to do research projects anywhere in the world.

Presently, I have just been granted a funding to head a research project in the tropical regions of Asia regarding rare and vulnerable plant species and this would be commencing very soon, However my findings were by my American counterparts.So i will be staying in the states for a while before heading to Asia to round up my research.

Please for the fact that i will not be here in the state to check the apartment,i will like you to feed me with more details about the properties i.e

1)Details about the property including pictures if available.
2)Monthly rentals/security deposits and also if utilities is added.
3)When will it be available for move in
4)The total to move in i.e total amount i need made availble to hold the property.


I await your reply


--
James W Cannon
477-479 Whippendell Road
Watford, London
WD18 7PU
United Kingdom
+447024057815

Anonymous said...

'Now going by James W Cannon and trying to rent my house in Richmond.'

For me also with exactly the same text.

Who is doing something about such scams?

Anonymous said...

I got the same one in Bandon Oregon today. Thank you all for posting this as I actually replied to the guy. I will block his email now. Thank you!!!!

Anonymous said...

James W. Cannon is still going. Also be aware of a Canada resident by the name of Eric J. Blunt. Same thing about renting and sending cashiers check with extra $ for furniture to be put in the home. Then you are to send a $ order to the furniture company. I agree about who is doing something about these people.

Anonymous said...

I got James Cannon too, but he's cleaned up his spelling and become a Christian.


Hello ,

Thanks for the details on the Property, I am satisfied and will like to go ahead with the renting process, I will like you to go ahead and reserve the property for me.

So I will be needing the following informations so that the check for payment of the deposit $1990 can be processed and posted to you soon.

Name:............
Address:.............
Phone number(cell and land):............

I want the 12 month lease to start on the 1st of Jan 2010, I will also want to notify you that I have in the mean time arrange with an interior decorator who will be handling the purchase of furnitures, entertainment system and other appliances that I will need in the property, they will as well be incharge of moving down my luggages down to the states. So the check of $5,000 will be sent over to you which is a relocation grant by my employer, and all you need to do is deduct the deposit $1990 and you will forward the rest to the Decorators so I can have the place all prepared for my arrival. All applications and lease will be signed as soon as I arrive.

Also for familiarization I Am James Cannon, I am 39 years of age, a British citizen, married to a lovely lady, with two daughter (Family staying over in the UK), I work with AXA Insurance (UK), as a loss adjuster agent, I am a Christian, reserved in Nature, Non smoker also i don't keep pets.

I look forward to meeting you and hope to have a good relationship as a tenant with you.

I await the details.
Below is my present landlords information for reference :


Mr John Smith
Basilica House, 334 Southend Road
Wickford, Essex SS11 8QS
jsmith81854@yahoo.com


Regards--
James W Cannon
477-479 Whippendell Road
Watford, London
WD18 7PU
United Kingdom
+447024057815