Job scam quick guide: it's a scam if...

  • they want you to collect and forward money in any way (a "money mule" job). You'll wind up engaged in money laundering, personally defrauded via expertly forged cheques, money orders, etc, or defrauding someone else who pays for goods that never arrive.
  • they want you to receive packages and reship them somewhere else. The goods will have been obtained fraudulently, and they're just using you to make the shipping address appear local. You will be aiding fraud.
  • they want up-front payment (either to them or someone else) of any sort for anything before you can get the job. This is advance fee fraud: there is no job -- it's just a big con to extract money from you.
  • they want you to buy any kind of "membership" or "kit" in order to start. Forget it -- it's not a real job at all: they're trying to sell you something, and they're probably making a bunch of other false claims about it if they're pitching it as a "job".
  • it's a job offer, and it's spam. There are LOTS of these scams about, as you can see.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Flower Land

They give no details of what's involved with this job, but I'll take a wild guess and say it involves forwarding money. There probably exists one or more real companies called "Fower Land", but I doubt that any have any relation to these scammers.

Email addresses seen in conjunction with this scam:
  • flowerland@web2mail.com
  • FlowerLandIntl@web2mail.com
  • FlowerIntl@web2mail.com


---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Alfonzo Shultz <[address redacted]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2006 05:53:30 -0060
Subject: Work from home - high wages!
To: [address redacted]

Flower land inc. is looking for a qualified candidates.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
The Company:

FlowerLand International is an american trading company.
Our core values are:

-To provide excellent customer service
-To offer top quality products
-To create and innovate

The Vacancy:
The company has an opportunity for a talented, highly creative persons. We are looking for
someone who is energetic, ambitious and intelligent. We can employ people from all over the
world.

The successful candidate must possess the following skills and experience:
- Excellent people skills.
- Punctuality.
- Skilfulness.

Main Advantages:

- Really High Wages.
- Ability to work from home.
- No sign up fees, no investment is needed.
- All expenses (such as phone calls, webtraffic, etc) will be fully covered by our company.
- AIDS\Disability Friendly team.


Degree:
No degree required.


How to Apply:
Please send your resume to our personnel manager via email flowerland@web2mail.com
It must be maild in a TXT, Microsoft Word or RTF format.

9 comments:

Gary McGath said...

This sleaze has been bombarding me with spam. But it's not a good idea to put the "From" address in a public place when posting spam reports. That address is generally (and in this case) forged, and it could be someone's actual address which the crook is forging. Posting it without snipping that address adds to the damage the spammer does.

Instead, you should post the "Received" headers of the spam. The first "Received" header is usually a reliable indicator of where the spam came from, or else of a vulnerable relay point being used by the spammer.

IC said...

Thanks for this website, I just wanted to make sure that flower land was a scam and I found this website. This junk came to my work email that just wrong! Thanks

Spotter said...

Gary, in general I redact email addresses if I think they are real. In this case it looked like completely random crud, but you're right that I should err on the side of caution, so I have redacted the address here.

I used to post "Received" headers, but that became more work than it warranted. Essentially, most 419 scams and Lottery scams exploit webmail systems, and most employment scams and phishes use compromised end-user boroadband systems. This story repeats itself so often that it's not worth the extra hassle to report it on a case by case basis.

Under no circumstances do I suggest that anyone attempt to retaliate against the senders of these spams, as the risk of collateral damage is too great. These reports exist to aid in scam avoidance -- that is all.

Anonymous said...

It's been said elsewhere that this company is not so much a scam as it is very unlikely you will pull a decent profit from your efforts.

Anonymous said...

Flower-Fraud* CANADIAN Scammer

They ripped me off ...this guy named,Joe Flowers. Do not buy from this seller!!!!
I am pissed and I want everyone to know.

Thanks,
Danny - panerainut
Please pass it on.....these scam vendors have to learn.

http://www.affordable-flowers.com..... becareful this is the same vendor on Ebay
Ebay Scammer

affordable-flowers-joes-rose4u

*Fraud. Beware. Changes terms after sale. Attempts to get more money from you
Feb-12-07 07:05
(#300074269220)

Anonymous said...

Affordable-Flowers.com Rip Off**** Beware!!!!

This company is a ripoff! They refuse to resolve problems. Stayed on hold over an hour and a half.
They charged my credit card more than I autorized!
Delivered on the wrong date!
Delivered an order nothing like what was selected on the internet!

Suzanne

Spotter said...

I don't mind people voicing their dissatisfaction with "affordable-flowers.com" here, but I want to make it clear that this is very probably not the same party that was responsible for sending the spam I reported originally. I have no reason to believe that "affordable-flowers.com" is associated with any kind of job scam, whether or not their customer service is any good.

Anonymous said...

Affordable-Flowers.com/ Joes Roses I ordered a contemporary arrangement for my husband for our anniversary. He was out of town on business and I had them delivered to his hotel. The arrangement was delivered and accepted by the hotel and he received them later that day.
The flowers were falling off the petals when he carried them to the car. The arrangement looked nothing like what I had ordered online (Instant Sunshine). It looked like someone had bought a bouquet on clearance at the grocery store and stuck them in a vase they had at home and delivered them.

There was no contact information for the florist on the card. In fact, the message I had wanted on the card was written sloppily and there was a word crossed out!!!

I immediately called the company and amazingly talked with a nice representative. She told me she'd investigate and call back in a week. Needless to say, I didn't get a call back. And, when I attempted to call the company, I was put on hold numerous times. I have even e-mailed them with no success.

I contacted my credit card company and they said I would not be able to get my money back because I did not attempt to return the flowers. (I live 2 hours from the city my husband received them in and there was no information for the florist)

I have reported them to the BBB and the FTC. I look forward to the day they can no longer rip anyone else off!

Check out the pictures...

Kendra.

Anonymous said...

www.Affordable-Flowers.com this company delivers nothing but misery ...this Montreal company is a fraud. Thanks for nothing I will never order from you.
Stop the scam www.affordable-flowers.com

Gerry
Laval, Quebec