I'm way behind in reporting these scams at the moment, but I thought I'd better get this one on the web ASAP because these guys are pretty good. They're getting through Gmail's spam filters, they have their own domain name, and their English skills are almost passable. As usual, they are recruiting money mules to transfer stolen money out of the country (being Australia, in this instance). They gain access to someone's online banking service, transfer money from it to one of their "employees", and get the employee to transfer it overseas via Western Union or similar.
Domain Name: OAB-JOBS.COM
Registrar: ENOM, INC.
Whois Server: whois.enom.com
Referral URL: http://www.enom.com
Name Server: NS1.ENTERDA.COM
Name Server: NS2.ENTERDA.COM
Updated Date: 25-feb-2008
Creation Date: 25-feb-2008
Expiration Date: 25-feb-2009
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Online Auction Block Team <[redacted (false)]>
Date: 27 Feb 2008 XX:XX UTC
Subject: Australia Careers - Virtual Office
To: [redacted (privacy)]
Online Auction Block. is an exciting business that simplifies the online auction process. We have established sellers who sell items through auctions worldwide providing higher sales profits to clients. These positions will be vital to the success of Online Auction Block as we continue growing our business.
We are currently recruiting for the positions of Virtual Office Assistants, part-time and full-time available.
The positions focus on providing administrative assistance in online sales.
Part-time and full-time positions available
Part-time: Three hours per day during either one of these shifts:
9:00am-12:00pm 11:00am-2:00pm 12:00pm-3:00pm 2:00pm-5:00pm
Full Time: Six hours per day during either one of these shifts:
Part-time: $1,500/month and commission
Full-time: $3,000/month and commission
- Customer focused decision maker
- Demonstrates a high level of personal accountability
- Thinks about the team first over personal agendas
- Learning adaptive
- Process driven
Basic Requirements for Virtual Office Assistant:
- Internet Access
- Microsoft Office
- Proficient PC user
- Basic Accounting skills
If interested in the proposal please email your resume to Anne.Moss@oab-jobs.com stating whether you are interested in full-time or part-time position and we will send you the start up details.
Online Auction Block Team
Job scam quick guide: it's a scam if...
- they want you to collect and forward money in any way (a "money mule" job). You'll wind up engaged in money laundering, personally defrauded via expertly forged cheques, money orders, etc, or defrauding someone else who pays for goods that never arrive.
- they want you to receive packages and reship them somewhere else. The goods will have been obtained fraudulently, and they're just using you to make the shipping address appear local. You will be aiding fraud.
- they want up-front payment (either to them or someone else) of any sort for anything before you can get the job. This is advance fee fraud: there is no job -- it's just a big con to extract money from you.
- they want you to buy any kind of "membership" or "kit" in order to start. Forget it -- it's not a real job at all: they're trying to sell you something, and they're probably making a bunch of other false claims about it if they're pitching it as a "job".
- it's a job offer, and it's spam. There are LOTS of these scams about, as you can see.